[keycloak-dev] ID Token claims in Access Token and Refresh Token

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Wed Dec 3 09:10:08 EST 2014

> As AccessToken and RefreshToken extends IDToken they contain the ID Token claims. If I've read the spec correctly those claims should only be in the ID Token. There should also be a separate UserInfo endpoint which we're missing.

access and refresh tokens are opaque.  We can put anything we want in them.

> Is there a reason why AccessToken extends IDToken, or can we remove that?

Please don't remove it.  AccessToken extends IDTOken so that we can
propagate stuff with bearer token auth.  Refresh token needs much of the
same information as JWT, expiration, subject, roles granted, claims
granted so it can make decisions on whether to refresh the token or not.