[keycloak-dev] SAML as social login?

Stian Thorgersen stian at redhat.com
Tue Feb 4 07:30:53 EST 2014

In theory that should work. The social login feature at the moment has only been tested for OAuth and OAuth2 providers, so may need some tweaking for a SAML provider.

We're also assuming that a social provider is able to retrieve a basic user profile (https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/blob/master/social/google/src/main/java/org/keycloak/social/google/GoogleProvider.java#L85), but you could just return a username and require users to update their profile on first social login ("Update profile on first social login" option on realm settings in admin console).

In the future we plan to provide support for federation of authentication (other Keycloak realms, SAML, LDAP, etc.), but this is a good way to get something working with what Keycloak provides at the moment.

By the way at the moment the admin console has a hard-coded list of social providers, but in the next release this will be dynamic. So all you'd need is to add a jar that implements the social provider spi, and it will be available to configure it for a realm through the admin console.