[keycloak-dev] composite roles in

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Wed Feb 5 09:05:26 EST 2014

There's special logic as you don't want "DEFAULT ROLE" showing up in the
OAuth Grant page.  There's also an additional screen required, in that
you have to specify what your default role is.  Also you have to have 2
clicks to actually view what the default roles are.

IMO, just have 1 default-roles screen where you can see and manage your
default roles in one place.

>>> We could also have both a initial role and a default role associated with a
>>> realm. The initial role is provided to users when they register or are
>>> created through admin console, while the default role is always granted to
>>> all users.
>>>

>> I don't agree you need two different types here.  What we really need is
>> the ability to apply bulk changes to users.
>
> Are there not situations where you have some roles that all logged-in users should have? For example 'view-profile' would be an example of a role that all users should have regardless.

Right now, this is automatically added to default roles, right?

> Then again there's the situation where you want to have roles allocated to users when they register, but you may want to remove those later. I'm not sure I'm that convinced about this use-case, but both you and Marek argued this would be needed. Reason why I'm unsure about it, is that if a user self-registers, then looses some registration roles the user can simply re-register to gain those permissions again.

The case is when I want to disallow a role for 1 user, so I have to
remove that role from "default roles" which would then require me to add
that role to every other user.

>> Apps or realms can have composite roles.  These composites can be made
>> up of any realm or app role.  Does the app-role screen not allow
>> composites, not work?
>
> This doesn't make sense to me. Why can you have an app specific role that can be made up of roles from other apps?

Makes a lot of sense when you have an application that is a REST service
that is being called by another application.  Our demo for instance.  So
a "USER" role in the customer-portal would have "CUSTOMER_READ"
privilege in the database-service.