[keycloak-dev] Running unit tests with different model implementations

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Mon Feb 10 16:51:13 EST 2014

On 10.2.2014 22:02, Bill Burke wrote:
> I still think there is a bit of model work to be done.  This is why I've
> turned off the picketlink and mongo builds as it is a pain to keep them
> in sync while we're developing new features.
The disadvantage of current approach with all unit tests in "services"
module is that you need to have dependencies with scope "test" declared
in services/pom.xml for all model implementations, which means that
there are both hibernate, picketlink and mongo dependencies. And if you
want to disable some model, you need to disable line in pom.xml but also
these test dependencies in services/pom.xml

> But, the idea was that Model classes are as close to the data model as
> possible with as little business logic as possible.  Manager classes are
> business logic, and the Resource/Service classes are the JAX-RS layer.
> We need to move logic to Manager layer and create a better API at the
> Manager level.  Then move the Manager code to another module (model-api?).
>
> We used to run mongo, picketlink, and JPA as you describe (you
> implemented it).
Ok, so I am seeing 2 possible ways how to proceed:
1) Create new module as you described (not sure about model-api as we
already have "model/api" . How about "model-managers" or "model-logic"
?) and move some manager classes like RealmManager, ApplicationManager,
OAuthClientManager etc. to this. This module will have dependency just
on "core" and "model/api" . I will keep rest of manager classes, which
are not used to model logic but mainly for jax-rs handling logic (like
TokenManager, SocialRequestManager etc) in services module. Then I will
move some model related tests from "services" module to this new module.
All concrete model implementations like "model/jpa" ,
"model/picketltink" or "model/mongo" will have test-scoped dependency on
this model-logic module and will run all unit tests during it's own build.

In "services" module, I will keep just unit tests not related to model
logic (like EmailSenderTest for instance)

2) Keep unit tests in "services" module and just add some profiles like
I mentioned. Especially running -Dkeycloak.model=all will run unit tests
with all available model implementations. This will leverage junit
parameterized approach and model related tests will be changed to be
subclass of AbstractKeycloakTest (This is what I already have in my
working copy)

I prefer 1 but it's more work and more required changes of current
project structure. wdyt?

Marek