[keycloak-dev] WildFly subsystem and demo

Stan Silvert ssilvert at redhat.com
Tue Feb 18 07:44:08 EST 2014

> I've just tried out deploying the demo manually using the WildFly subsystem. It's very cool and I really like how the WildFly subsystem has made things so much simpler. Some comments though on my "experience" trying this out.
>
> 1. Having to edit standalone.xml to add secure-deployment requires restarting the server. In installation tab we could have an additional option that lists the jboss-cli command to add this at runtime
Yes, it's usually easier and more accurate to run a CLI script instead
of editing standalone.xml by hand.  Using CLI also allows you to make
the update remotely when you might not have access to the remote file
system.

When we get everything integrated a little tighter then the admin
console will be able to make the changes directly to WildFly without
involving standalone.xml or CLI.

> 2. Customer portal error messages are horrible at best. First I forgot to deploy the database services, which caused the exception "Unexpected character ('<' (code 60)): expected a valid value (number, String, array, object, 'true', 'false' or 'null')". This should have probably been something like "Database services not found". Then I deployed database services, but used the wrong WAR name in the secure-deployment and the error message was the same, but should have been "Unauthorized".
>
> 3. Finally, it's not clear enough in the log output when the Keycloak sub-system acts on a deployment and when it doesn't. We definitively need something along the lines of:
>
>     INFO [org.keycloak.wildfly] Keycloak configured for 'customer-portal.war'
+1
>     Could also be an idea to add (not sure if it should be info or debug):
>
>     DEBUG [org.keycloak.wildfly] Ignoring 'customer-portal.war'
Definitely DEBUG.  Always remember that log messages add to startup time
and certain people on the WildFly team get (understandably) grumpy when
you affect that in any way.

I do think we can justify the "Keycloak configured" message though. That
one seems pretty important.