[keycloak-dev] Device mgmt

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Fri Jan 24 12:54:02 EST 2014

+1 on this scenario

There is a different scenario:

* the mobile app does not require an actual user (e.g. think about
something like a News-App (e.g. "ESPN Sports Ticker")), but the device
still needs to be registered w/ a server, so that the server later can use
the device metadata for sending push notifications to the iOS / Android
device. The AeroGear UnifiedPush Server is doing it (currently) via HTTP
Basic (see [1]).

Is this some scenario you are interested in supporting as well? Or is the
(current) focus more around storing 'devices' / 'device metadata' under a
real user (which is most-likely a pure enterprise use-case)?

Greetings,
Matthias

[1] http://aerogear.org/docs/specs/aerogear-push-rest/DeviceRegistration/

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Bill Burke <bburke at redhat.com> wrote:

> Here's my thoughts on device mgmt, both UI and protocol:
>
> Scenario:
>
> An iOS device as a "Brokerage App" installed.  The app needs to do REST
> invocations to be able to trade stocks, etc.  Devices must be registered
> in order to obtain permission.  Flow would look like this:
>
> * User installs app on iPad.
> * User hits login button on app.
> * User is redirected to browser with a Keycloak server URL
> * User enters in credentials
> * User is redirected to "Device Registration" page.  Keycloak asks user
> if it authorizes access to the device.
> * Keycloak registers the device under the user and generates a device token
> * User is redirected back to iPad ap
> * iPad app gets auth code from redirect URL
> * iPad makes REST request to obtain auth token *AND* a device token.
> * iPad app stores the device token.
>
> Next login is the same, except there is no "grant" page displayed. The
> iPad app uses the "device token" as a credential to turn an access code
> into an access token.  These are all extensions we'll need to make to
> the current OAuth protocol.
>
> UI work:
>
> The User Account Service will need a way to list registered devices so
> the user can see it and manage it (i.e. remove a registered device).
>
> Admin Console should have a way to define a "Device Type".  The name,
> description and scope of the device type is defined.  "name" is used in
> the initial OAuth grant as a client_id identifier so that Keycloak knows
> what to display as a description in the
>

> --
> Bill Burke
> JBoss, a division of Red Hat