[keycloak-dev] Device mgmt

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Fri Jan 24 13:41:38 EST 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 7:19 PM, Bill Burke <bburke at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 1/24/2014 12:54 PM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
>
>> +1 on this scenario
>>

>> There is a different scenario:
>>
>> * the mobile app does not require an actual user (e.g. think about
>> something like a News-App (e.g. "ESPN Sports Ticker")), but the device
>> still needs to be registered w/ a server, so that the server later can
>> use the device metadata for sending push notifications to the iOS /
>> Android device. The AeroGear UnifiedPush Server is doing it (currently)
>> via HTTP Basic (see [1]).
>>

> In this case, couldn't the device just use the registration API?

Of the UnifiedPush Server? Sure!

I was just wondering if you guys are interested in this scenario as well.

>> Is this some scenario you are interested in supporting as well? Or is
>> the (current) focus more around storing 'devices' / 'device metadata'
>> under a real user (which is most-likely a pure enterprise use-case)?
>>

> IMO, its not a pure enterprise use case.  I access my brokerage acct via
> my ipad and browser via the same credentials.

yep, I was more saying that requiring a user in order to use a mobile app
is a bit more enterprise-like (sure: Twitter/FB are NOT enterprise), than
have no user required at all(like the mentioned sports-news-ticker).

So the brokerage could be even done on your iPad, your Android phone, your
browser, etc ;-)

-Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf