[keycloak-dev] new client type: "server"

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Mon Jan 27 12:08:54 EST 2014

Stan's work on the Wildfly subsystem got me thinking about how we might
want to reorganize keycloak.  Since multiple applications may often be
deployed on the same server, what if we split the notion of Application
and client?  Application would be a place to define application roles
and application scope only.  A server can be associated with multiple
applications.

For config/bootstrapping, the user would specify a server in the admin
console and set up trust between the two.  Then the user could import
deployments from a server and associate them with a realm and even
download the the roles of each of these deployments and create
Applications from them.  For OAuth tokens, server would specify the
server's client_id as well as a scope.  The scope would be the
Application the server is asking a token for.

So, a server would have:

* a client_id
* credentials
* admin URL
* be associated with one or more Applications

Application would have:
* roles
* valid redirect urls  (which are associated with a server)
* scope
* sessions (view who's logged in where into what server)