[keycloak-dev] federation iteration 2

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Fri Jul 25 21:20:03 EDT 2014

* UserProvider interface stayed the same
* Didn't add a UserFederation interface like I said I was going to,
didn't have to.
* UserFederationProvider interface no longer extends UserProvider and is
smaller
* UserFederationProvider no longer supports pagination
* UserFederationProvider no longer supports getUsers().  This is a very
dangerous method for large databases since we can't reliable support
pagination.

How does pagination work now?

* getUsers() only queries local storage
* search() methods will call searchByAttributes() on every provider.
Then paginate based on local storage.  This may result in long query
times (and database inserts) depending how many people of the same name
there are.  In a database of 1 million, not sure what the distribution
will be.  For example, the most popular US name is "Smith" there are 2.8
million which is less than 1% of the USA.

But, I'm not sure what to do.  Admins *MUST* be able to search based on
names.  What would reduce the search would be to require both first and
last name.