[keycloak-dev] Keycloak distribution changes

Marko Strukelj mstrukel at redhat.com
Tue Apr 14 06:29:30 EDT 2015

Yesterday a had a little conversation with Stan, and he thought the code split may result in a lot of subsystem plumbing code duplication and make things more difficult for Elytron integration, and make OOTB config for examples slightly more complicated ...

As far as I understood it the idea is a code split, and module dependencies split, and it's there to be able to make a standalone distribution that will not contain any of adapter-specific configuration / dependencies / modules. The price of duplicated plumbing, and a lack of OOTB adapter configuration for standalone  - server and adapter in the same WildFly - is agreed to be outweighed (so I understand) by some benefits - but I'm not sure what those are (cleaner codebase? The ability to be able to install adapter only into existing WildFly without also installing the server parts - auth-server.war? Something else?)

Server / adapter split will have to identify code that is shared between server and adapter, which will be modularized out of the subsystem.

Stan can tell more, but as I understood his idea was that the one and single subsystem could present two faces, and based on availability of some modules for example present a server only, an adapter only, or a full view of configuration options, and that might be simpler than splitting existing subsystem into three parts - server, adapter, shared.