[keycloak-dev] Fwd: Remove address from registration and account management by default

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Thu Aug 13 14:47:56 EDT 2015

On 8/13/2015 2:18 PM, Lennart Jörelid wrote:
> [Forwarding to the list; not meant as a personal reply.]
>
> Hello there,
>
> This is exacly what I am struggling with at the moment. I have found a
> number of things which would need clarification in documentation as well
> as in examples:
>
>  1. *Custom user data properties/fields*. It seems that one has to/ought
>     to add custom properties to three places in the theme files:
>     account, admin and registration. However, the ways to add them
>     differ greatly, as each FTL template structure is quite different.
>     (Account uses account.ftl; Admin uses
>     partials/user-attribute-entry.ftl). Pattern definitions and
>     explanations are missing from examples and documentation, as far as
>     I can tell.

Stian wants a generic service.  I disagree because I don't think it will
be used.  I just look at developers.redhat.com for example, and they
have differing formatting requirements.  You would end up recreating cSS
and HTML within the admin console.  Not something I'm kean on doing.

>  2. *Editable properties per role*. Realm admins/editors could perhaps
>     be able to edit all properties (except primary key/ID value) for all
>     the users in a realm - but we would typically like to restrict which
>     properties (both basic and custom attributes) are editable depending
>     on the roles/privileges a user has in the realm. (For example, it
>     would likely be a bad ide to permit users to change their names and
>     birthday arbitrarily after registration). How do we restrict
>     editability of normaly and custom user properteis - both in terms of
>     the data and the forms required to interact with keycloak? Pattern
>     definitions and explanations are missing from examples and
>     documentation, as far as I can tell.

We don't have a way to do this in the account service yet.  You can
modify the forms to display whatever you want, but a rogue user would be
able to modify any attribute they wanted.  Ugh, we probably need to fix
this.

>  3. *Linking users to roles/privileges in other realms.* How should one
>     construct realms to grant roles & privileges automatically to users
>     in other realms? (For example: All Users in Literary Society A can
>     register for a party hosted by Literary Society B. Hence, how does
>     realm admin B grant role KnownGuest to all users in realm A, to
>     permit them to access Society B's register-to-the-event-page?
>     Assume, of course, that both A and B are managed by the same
>     Keycloak DB, so basic identity attributes should be extracted
>     normally from Keycloak. Neither realm admins from A or B have master
>     realm access.) Pattern definitions and explanations are missing from
>     examples and documentation, as far as I can tell.

I don't think we'll ever have the ability to link realms.  If we did
ever add it it would be next year.  Too much in queue at the moment.