[keycloak-dev] in-memory only federated users

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Wed Dec 2 22:53:52 EST 2015

On 12/02/2015 11:48 AM, Bill Burke wrote:
> I'm looking into in-memory only no-import federated users.  What we
> would want to do is allow the UserFederationProvider to create an
> in-memory UserModel and allow for that UserModel to be cached via our
> current architecture.
>
> The current design assumes that all federated users are imported.  This
> includes our caching layer too!  To add to that, the user isn't cached
> until the 2nd request i.e.:
>
> 1. username/password page would hit the UserFederationProvider and the
> user would be imported into Keycloak.  This imported user is not cached,
> only imported into the database for this request's KeycloakSession
> 2. OTP Page or code 2 token would then want to lookup the user by id as
> that is what is stored in the ClientSession.  It would hit the keycloak
> database as it is not cached yet.  This lookup loads the cache for the user.
>
> Getting in-memory zero-import to work is even more tricky.  The issue is
> that ClientSession and UserSession need to lookup clients by id.  If the
> user is not in cache, then the cache needs to lookup the user by id
> within storage.  This lookup also needs to happen if a write operation
> is performed on a cache user (getDelegateForUpdate()).  So, Keycloak
> needs to know that that ID is not in local storage and must be looked up
> from a fed provider.  The ID must be formed so that the provider fed
> provider can resolve the lookup.  I could use a URI for the ID i.e.
>
> fed:{providerId}:{login-name}

I'd recommend this, and increasing the size of the Database column.

Keystoen did this, but then SHA256 hashed it, makuing it a 64 character
string. We found we were OK so long as we stayed under 255, as that was
the limit mysql imposed for the string columns.

> The problem with this is that this id would need to be larger than 36
> characters which is the current column size for UserEntity.id and any
> other table that references users.   I could possibly do:
>
> fed:{providerAlias}:{login-name}
>
> But its quite possible that combination would be larger than 36
> characters.  We could also just shrink it to:
>
> fed:{login-name}
>
> But then we would have to iterate over every federation provider to find
> and load the user.

It gets trickier:  you don;'t want one federation provider to step on
the login from an other:  ayoung at coke is a different user from
ayoung at pepsi.  Having the Id be something issued by Keycloak + something
that comes from the Federated IdP is necessary.

> So in summary:
> * IDs need to expand from 36 characters to something larger. (255
> maybe).  Don't some DBs have constraints on string primary key size?  DB
> scripts could possibly be

255 is your limit.

> * CachedUserProvider and UserFederationManager interfaces would need to
> be refactored
> * I don't think UserFederationProvider interface would need to change.
> But users would have to code for in-memory rather than throwing a switch
> to just turn it on.

I like in memory, but there are many questions to answer, when a user
comes back a second time, what happens with their Id.  I pushed for
ephemeral for Keystone, and we couldn't make it work.