[keycloak-dev] Improve first login with identity provider

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Tue Jul 14 11:11:52 EDT 2015

On 7/14/2015 10:30 AM, Marek Posolda wrote:
> On 14.7.2015 15:15, Stian Thorgersen wrote:

This is WAY too complicated.  Please see my long previous email.  There
should never be any temporary accounts.  I'll summarize my previous
email again:

* Existing accounts should only be detected by email.  "Bill Burke" gets
56 million hits on Google.  It is a very common name.

Default behavior:
1) User registers with "bburke at redhat.com" and password
2) User does a social login, new account is created "bburke at redhat.com"
is stored in a user attribute.  i.e. "Alternative email".

Website requires linking:
1) User registers with "bburke at redhat.com" and password
2) User logins with Facebook, "bburke at redhat.com" exists. Prompted
"Account exists with same email you have registered at Facebook.  You
have been sent an email verification message.  Please follow the
directions of this email to login"
3) User goes to Inbox, clicks link in email, message screen appears
"Your Facebook account has been linked.  Click "Ok" to continue.".  User
gets forwarded to website.
4) Facebook is linked to pre-existing "bburke at redhat.com" account.

This would be implemented with Authentication Flows.  There would be no
temporary account.  Step #2 would create a ClientSession model and store
all the facebook metadata within it.  Step #3 would import the facebook
metadata.

Alternatively, you could just trust the IDP and do the link
automatically.  Does Google et. al. send an "email-verified" metadata?

User wants to link accounts:
1) User goes to Account Service, Account LInking page
2) User is provided with list of IDPs i.e. (Facebook, Google, etc). And
clicks one.
3) User is prompted to login via that IDP
4) User receives prompt "Your Facebook account has been linked.  Click
"OK" to continue".  User gets forwarded to website.

In this scenario, there is no removal of old accounts.  The initiating
account,X,  would import the old Facebook account, Y.  X would create a
new federation link to Facebook.  Y would be disabled and its facebook
link removed.  Y is marked as "merged" or "linked" and points to account
X.  You need to keep Y around as the user may have done a bunch of
actions under that account...i.e. posted on jboss.org forums.