[keycloak-dev] User registration: OTP flow

Bruno Oliveira bruno at abstractj.org
Thu Nov 26 15:24:25 EST 2015

Ahoy, I was looking at this Jira
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/KEYCLOAK-1998 and trying to reproduce
the issue reported by Stian.

What I did was:

1. Get the latest changes from master
2. Run mvn clean install -DskipTests=true && mvn -f
testsuite/integration/pom.xml exec:java -Pkeycloak-server
3. Go to "Realm Settings" and enable "User Registration"
4. Go to "Authentication" > "Required Actions"
5. On Configure Totp mark the checkbox "Default Action"
6. Now logout and try to register
7. After the registration I get the TOTP screen

Stian was following a different workflow

1. Get the latest changes from master
2. Run mvn clean install -DskipTests=true && mvn -f
testsuite/integration/pom.xml exec:java -Pkeycloak-server
3. Go to "Realm Settings" and enable "User Registration"
4. Flows > Browser
5. OTP form marked as required
6. After the registration I won't get the TOTP screen

After I managed to reproduce the real issue, I got confused about what
would be the expected behavior in the situation where I have "OTP
form" as required and "Required actions > Configure Totp > Default
action" unchecked.

To me it seems like OTP form is unnecessary, but I can be 110% wrong.

Thoughts?