[keycloak-dev] Introduce option to select username mode for a realm

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 08:28:32 EDT 2015

On 06/10/15 09:50, Stian Thorgersen wrote:
> We've have someone from the community that wants to use mobile number
> as the username, as well as verify mobile number by sending a code via
> SMS. See "Login by mobile number" thread in user mailing list for more
> details. They are also willing to contribute this back to the community.
>
> That made me think it may be nice to be able to configure the behavior
> of the username "field" for a realm. We could have a simple drop-down
> in the admin console to configure username mode, with the following
>
> * Username/email - default behavior where a user provides both a
> username and email, and the user can login with either. In this mode
> email has to be unique.
> * Username - a user can only login with a username. In this mode we
> could relax the requirement that email has to be unique (that may be
> difficult though as it would require not using a database constraint,
> which may make it rather difficult to guarantee uniqueness in other modes)
Even if we add the option, I wouldn't remove email uniqueness. Admin can
decide to change the mode back to "Username" to "Email" and then some
users won't be able to login due to many users with same email. Also is
there usecase when there are 2 different users in realm with same email?
> * Email - in this mode only email can be used to login. In this mode
> username field would not be displayed on the registration form or
> account management console. In the token the username would be set to
> email. In this mode verify email address should be enabled by default.
> * Mobile - user logs in with a mobile number. We can either just add
> mobile number to the username field or add a new mobile field and
> require uniqueness on that field. In this mode verify mobile number
> should be enabled by default.
For the "Mobile" support, isn't an option to remove default
username/password Authenticator and add new Authenticator based on
mobile number? Also registration screen can be customized and account
management as well. Also user can already use protocol mapper to map
"mobile_number" attribute to "preferred_username" or whatever he wants
into access token.

TBH advantages of introducing new option are bit unclear to me. It looks
like adding another complexity, which is not needed as authentication
with mobile can be done with the SPIs we have now IMO.

Marek