[keycloak-dev] Authz Model Implementation

Pedro Igor Silva psilva at redhat.com
Mon Oct 19 08:24:59 EDT 2015

Hey Crhisthian,

    As Bill said, we are working on an Authz Server for Keycloak in order to provide fine-grained permissions. It is still a working in progress, although we already have a baseline for a first release which will happen very soon.

    From a migration perspective, while PL provides a rich Permission Java API, Keycloak will provide a distributable authorization server based on a RESTful API to manage resources, policies, evaluate policies, obtain entitlements and plus other goodies. In other words, Keycloak will become a PAP (Policy Administration Point), a PDP (Policy Decision Point) and a Entitlements Server. Everything based on OpenID Connect (and of course, oAuth2).

    As you know, Keycloak is a feature rich, OOTB and easy to use security as a service solution. We are considering these same premises for the authz server, so you can protect web apps, RESTful APIs or any other resources very easily. For instance, you'll be able to write policies using JBoss Drools, EL and easily extend your existing oAuth2 clients in order ask for permissions or enforce them (in case your client acts as a resource server).

    I'm afraid there will be no "migragration path" between PL and KC, at this sense. But we can work together to make this migration easier. For instance, we are going to provide a Protection API which can be used to manage resources and policies remotely.

Regards.
Pedro Igor