[keycloak-dev] combine proxy and keycloak server

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Tue Aug 16 23:03:18 EDT 2016

On 8/16/16 6:19 PM, John Dennis wrote:
> On 08/16/2016 04:43 PM, Bill Burke wrote:
>>> There's also plenty of options around proxies (Apache, nginx, APIMan,
>>> 3scale, etc.). I'm not convinced we should even have our own. Sounds
>>> like APIMan might actually survive and end up being supported in some
>>> form, so that may still be a better option to us rolling our own
>>> proxy/gateway.
>>>
>> Disagree 100%.  Right now without a supported proxy we have zero control
>> over how other languages and environments integrate with Keycloak
>> (except Java).  We're at the mercy of mod-auth-mellon and
>> mod-auth-openidc the latter of which isn't even maintained by RHT.  Both
>> of which we do not have any in house knowledge to make extensions to.
>> The potential to simplify and unify setup and configuration and
>> management is just too huge here to ignore.
>
> Correction, Red Hat does support mod_auth_openidc and we do have
> in-house expertise to modify and extend these packages. In fact we're
> already made significant contributions to mod_auth_mellon and the
> lasso SAML library it utilizes.
>
> The platform group has deployed Keycloak behind both the Apache and
> HAproxy proxies and has (started) documenting the process. We also are in
Could you share these docs with us..create better awareness between the
two groups, because we already had to document that process from the
keycloak end and we're missing the apache end of things:

https://keycloak.gitbooks.io/server-installation-and-configuration/content/v/2.1/topics/clustering/load-balancer.html

> the process of writing Ansible and Puppet configuration modules to
> help deploy Keycloak, I believe in all these scenarios Keycloak is
> behind a proxy.
>
> I wish our two groups had better awareness of each other.

By in-house knowledge, I mean a member of this team that reports to
Bolek.    Right now we're stuck with vanilla SAML and OIDC and however
these mod-auth plugins implement those specs.  Are you willing to
maintain a fork of these mods with keycloak-specific extensions?  For
example we're writing an extension to our Java OIDC adapters so that we
can have sticky sessions for both the browser redirects and out-of-band
code to token requests so we can avoid unnecessary DB hits.  I know you
guys support mod-auth-mellon, but mod-auth-openidc is managed and run by
a commercial competitor: ping identity, which, by itself sucks from a
perception perspective.

But we're diverging into arguments that were not the focus of the
original post.   My main focus to reduce the number of things you have
to install and configure, make configuration and management consistent,
reduce the number of steps to secure an app, and finally reduce the
number of network hops for a login.  Make security easier and faster for
developers which is why Stian and I started the project in the first place.