[keycloak-dev] Moving translations to a separate repository

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Wed Jun 8 05:56:33 EDT 2016

On 08/06/16 06:58, Stian Thorgersen wrote:
> I'm thinking of moving translations to a separate repository.
>
> The plan is to not have them included in the standard distribution and
> not part of the release. Often a release comes with changes to the
> English message bundles and we can't afford to wait for all
> translations to be updated before a release.
>
> The repository would have a page listing the languages and each
> language would have a maintainer listed (by Github username). Ideally
> we'd also have the page automatically updated with % keys translated
> and somehow figure out if it needs to be updated (in the event the
> English translation has changed).
>
> Adding translations to the base theme should be made as simple as
> possible. This will need some work to make as it's not simple at the
> moment to add additional translations as it requires a custom theme.
+1

Maybe the theme can just read the available property files and
automatically set the available locales based on that? So only needed
action will be to copy property file to the folder inside theme and it
will work automatically without need to change anything in
theme.properties or creating new theme.

One thing is, that combobox with available locales should be also
automatically updated. So when you add new locale, you don't need to
update all other property files to see new language in combobx.  I think
that each locale can provide the known key with it's own name for it's
own language and that will be added to the combobox. The property will
be in the language itself, which I can't see as big issue, but rather
more proper behaviour?

So for example, when you have english locale active, then in combobox
you won't see:
- English
- French
- Czech