[keycloak-dev] client creation using bearer token

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 09:21:17 EST 2016

On 8 March 2016 at 15:00, John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com> wrote:

>> Client registration service can only be invoked by a user from the realm
>> you are creating a client in, so users in the master realm can only
>> create clients in the master realm.
>>
>> IMO you should use the client registration services, supported initial
>> access tokens and leave realm creation to another process. Creating a
>> realm is part of installing the Keycloak server, not installing the
>> client.
>>

> I'm not asking about realm creation. Rather I'm following up on your
> suggestion from a couple of days ago where you said instead of using an an
> initial access token:
>
> > You can also invoke it with the same access token (
> http://keycloak.github.io/docs/userguide/keycloak-server/html/client-registration.html#d4e1458
> )
>
> This why I referenced Chapter 9.1.1 where it says a bearer token can be
> used to register the client. So my question is how does one do that?
>
> Here are the reasons why I'm pursuing this approach:
>
> * A process which creates a client in a realm should only have privileges
> in the realm, anything that requires super admin privileges on the master
> realm compromises the security of other realms hosted on the Keycloak
> instance (principle of least privilege).
>
> * Initial access tokens make automated provisioning difficult. But more to
> the point far as I can tell using an initial access token still requires
> super admin privileges at some point in the process. Either a super admin
> (human) has to logon to the web UI and copy the initial access token into a
> file for later use (and possibly exposing) or a process with super admin
> privileges has to create an initial access token via the REST interface.
>
> Remember the goal here is automated stand-alone provisioning (e.g. via
> ansible or puppet) of realm specific clients *without* super admin
> privileges that could compromise other realms (principle of least
> privilege). This suggests there should be a realm specific admin who can
> register a client (this is the fundamental question at hand).
>
> Thus what I was trying to resolve was how to have a realm specific admin
> who can only administer the realm. Initially I tried to create a user in
> the realm and grant them the necessary administration roles but I was
> unable to get a bearer token for that user using the realm token endpoint
> and passing their credentials. Then I went back re-read the documentation
> on administration privileges (cited below) which states realm
> administrators must be users in the master realm hence a realm
> administrator cannot use their bearer token to register a client because
> cross realm tokens are prohibited.
>
> Does this now make more sense?

Yep, I wrongly made the assumption that you wanted to use the same token to
create a realm and to create the client.

We need to figure out a way to provision initial access tokens or another
way to permit usage of client registration services, as using a user or
service account for it doesn't make to much sense.

In the mean time I'd use a service account rather than a regular user. Then
use the client credentials grant to obtain the token. The service account
only needs a role mapping on the create-client role from the
realm-management client. That way it'll only be able to create clients for
a specific realm and nothing else.