[keycloak-dev] Commits/PRs

Peter Palaga ppalaga at redhat.com
Thu Mar 10 16:17:38 EST 2016

Hi Stian,

just a few minor points. Please note that I am speaking primarily from
the standpoint of somebody who often looks into the history of KC
branches, because Hawkular (where I am primarily active) uses KC. I am
not a regular contributor to KC.

(1)
 > With JIRA key in commit and PRs linked in JIRA we get a good history
 > that is useful in the future to identify what was changed and why.

To see *what* was changed, I do not need to go to Jira. Git history is
the ultimate source of that info.

As for the *why*, the project has to coin some convention. From what you
say it seems that it should be Jira, right? Yes, that is one of the
legitimate choices, but not the only possible one. Git commit messages
may serve the purpose too and I personally find them much more practical
because they are much closer to where I usually start looking. Jira is
usually one slooowly loading link further. Therefore, could you please
explain why you find Jira better?

(2) I want tags in branches.
Your tags are outside branches (such as 1.9.x) and that makes it harder
to clearly and quickly see what happened between e.g. 1.9.0 and 1.9.1.
You are the second project doing it like this out of ~150 Java projects
I have ever cloned.

Please consider tagging the usual way.

(3) While I agree that the linking between git history and Jira is
useful, saying that every commit needs a Jira does not sound reasonable.
There certainly are commits that do not deserve a Jira, such as:
* upgrades of dependencies
* refactorings
* various formatting and license header fixes
I hope most of you will agree here.

(4) Pro tip for Chrome users:
I created a content script that makes Jiras and BZs on GitHub clickable
links. This is what it looks like: http://snag.gy/rq6Ja.jpg How to
install: https://goo.gl/bYUbHS

Thanks,

Peter