[keycloak-dev] Admin events questions

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Mon May 9 10:17:58 EDT 2016

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/KEYCLOAK-2982

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/KEYCLOAK-2983

>         ** In "Auth details" for admin events, there is filtering by
>         "Realm" ,
>         "Client" or "User". It may not be obvious, that this points to
>         IDs. To
>         be even more confusing, in "classic" events there is "Client"
>         too, but
>         that points to clientId (not database ID). Also in many
>         situations,
>         admins don't know the UserID or client database ID, so there is
>         additional action required from them that they need to lookup
>         ID it
>         first. For clients, the client database ID is not even visible
>         in admin
>         console, so they need to decode either from URL or from some
>         existing
>         event. I wonder if we should add possibility to filter by
>         "username" or
>         "clientId"? For users maybe even filtering by email? In case that
>         "username" or "email" or "clientId" is filled, admin will need
>         to fill
>         the "realm" too.
>

>     Events doesn't always have username, username can also change over
>     time. So user id isn't the reliable thing to use. We could add
>     something to allow looking up userid by username or something though.
>

> I meant user id is the only reliable thing to use. Same with
> "client-id" it can change, so id for clients is only thing that works
> over time.
Yeah, I meant that if you filter by username (or email or clientId), you
will be required to fill the realm too. Then it's the responsibility of
RealmAdminResource.getEvents to lookup user by realm+username and sent
the found userID to EventStore for filtering by. So EventsStore will be
unchanged and will still persist just the userId + client DB ID.