[keycloak-dev] Edit value contained in NameID field of SAML response

Rashmi Singh singhrasster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 10:06:27 EDT 2016

I apologize for sending reminders. I was just not sure if my query was
somehow missed from being read. So, I was only trying to assure that its
not getting missed/lost since responses to my earlier questions used to be
pretty quick. But, I am sorry if it sounded impatient though. We will
definitely look into the higher level of support as you indicated.

Meanwhile, with regard to your response to my query, My keycloak app calls
an external TokenValidator for authentication. This TokenValidator returns
an SP specific username. So, the NameID value in the SAML response need to
be handled in the "application code" and the value needs to be changed to
the value returned from the TokenValidator during authentication. I think
using the protocol mapper, its a one time change with a certian value? But,
in my setup, everytime, as part f authentication, my keycloak app calls an
external tokenValidator service which will return a certain value (this
value is not fixed, it could be different each time depending on various
factors, example, the user passed in authentication, the settings on the
TokenValidator etc).

So, I believe it needs to be handled in the code dynamically for each
authentication, so when a SAML response is created on keycloak (I am not
sure where and how its done internally by keycloak though), we need to be
able to write some code that can be used to edit the NameID in the SAML
response with a dynamic value that we fetched from a call to an external
service (TokenValidator) during that specific authentication. I hope my
question is more clear now. Let me know if not.