[keycloak-dev] Changing password of admin user

Thomas Darimont thomas.darimont at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 6 04:06:01 EDT 2016

Hello group,

keycloak ships with the add-user-keycloak.sh script to create an initial
realm admin user
with the provided username / password combination.

We're currently running this script every time when our keycloak docker
container
starts which triggers a Unique Constraint Violation if the admin user has
already been created
- which is what I would expect.

07:52:39,103 ERROR [org.keycloak.services] (ServerService Thread Pool --
56) KC-SERVICES0010: Failed to add user 'admin' to realm 'master': user
with username exists

-> Perhaphs an option like "create if not exists" would be nice.

Since we need to periodically change the password of that admin user I
wonder how this should be
done. Since the add-user-keycloak.sh doesn't seem to provide a way to
change a password the only way seems to be changing the admin password in
the realm admin-console.

However it is easy to get locked out of Keycloak if one changes the
password via the realm admin-console e.g. due to a typo...

Cheers,
Thomas