[keycloak-dev] Allow adapter subsystem to just inject dependencies

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Fri Sep 30 04:35:13 EDT 2016

On 30/09/16 08:55, Stian Thorgersen wrote:
> Wouldn't it actually be better to have the auth-server-url in
> standalone.xml than in the JAAS login module configuration?
Hawtio relies on JAAS and I can't see any nice way how to pass the stuff
from our subsystem to the JAAS login module. Also I suppose we don't
want to introduce any keycloak dependencies in hawtio as that would mean
other complications...

Our adapter subsystem puts the stuff into the JSON string, which is
saved as servletContext attribute. So what can work is, that hawtio can
read it from the servletContext and save it to some threadLocal. Then on
hawtio side, there will be login module, which will read the JSON from
threadLocal and put it to JAAS sharedState. The Keycloak login module,
which will be next in the JAAS chain, can then try to see if there is
stuff in sharedState and if yes, then use it instead of the
KeycloakDeployment provided by it's JAAS config. Or another possibility
that class holding threadLocal will be in Keycloak codebase and hawtio
will use reflection to put the JSON into it (as we don't want keycloak
dependencies in hawtio directly).

Both approaches looks to me complicated and introducing dependencies on
keycloak subsystem implementation details into hawtio codebase (reading
the servletContext attribute etc). Also it will be useful just with
hawtio on EAP, but not for Hawtio on Fuse. And Fuse seems to be much
more important.

Marek