[keycloak-dev] Support rfc6750 Form-Encoded Body Parameter for access tokens in Keycloak

Alexander Schwartz alexander.schwartz at gmx.net
Fri Apr 28 10:30:22 EDT 2017

Hi Keycloak Developers,

RFC6750 allows the access token to be submitted as part of a POST
request. I found that this is the only good way to do file downloads in
a JavaScript frontend.

Excerpt: When sending the access token in the HTTP request entity-body,
client adds the access token to the request-body using the
"access_token" parameter. [...] Resource servers MAY support this method.

I don't remember a thread on this mailing list. The only place I could
find in the code was the User Endpoint that does this quite manually.

Currently Keycloak only supports the query parameter using
QueryParamterTokenRequestAuthenticator. A similar class will be needed
to support a Form Parameter. Like the
QueryParamterTokenRequestAuthenticator it will be part of the request
processing and it will not be configurable.

I'd like to open a JIRA issue for this as part of the Java Keycloak
Clients to track the efforts and thoughts.

Comments welcome!

Regards,
Alexander

--