[keycloak-dev] Custom user federation after 2.5.x

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Thu Jan 26 10:35:29 EST 2017

I'm sorry, this usecase fell through the cracks when redesigning the SPI.

I'm guessing you need something that works with registration, REST API,
and admin console?  If so, I think this will work.  It will be nasty though.

Let's say your provider class name is MyUserStorageProvider.

1. Define a value object class that implements UserModel and keeps all
updates in memory.  Let's call it UserValueObject.

2. Define a class that implements the KeycloakTransaction interface.
This class will be responsible for adding the user to the external store
just before transaction commit.  It will just callback to
MyUserStorageProvider.

public class AddUserSynchronization implements KeycloakTransaction {

   MyUserStorageProvider provider;

   UserValueObject valueObject;

   public AddUserSynchronization(MyUserStorageProvider provider,
UserValueObject valueObject) {

      this.valueObject = valueObject;

      this.provider = provider;

   }

   public void commit() {

      this.provider.addUser(UserValueObject valueObject);

   }

}

3. In your MyUserStorageProvider.addUser(RealmModel realm, String
usernmae) method, allocate and return the value object and register with
the KeycloakTransactionManager.

public UserModel addUser(RealmModel realm, String username) {

     UserValueObject valueObject = new UserValueObject();

     StorageId id = new StorageId(providerComponentId, externalIdOfUser);

    valueObject.setId(id.getId());

   valueObject.setUsername(username);

   session.getTransactionManager().enlistPrepare(new
AddUserSynchronization(this, valueObject));

   return valueObject;

}

Does this make sense?