[keycloak-dev] Deploying provider with dependencies

Mark Pardijs mark.pardijs at topicus.nl
Tue Mar 14 13:21:33 EDT 2017

I’m trying to add a custom authenticator to Keycloak, and I’m also confused on this topic.

First, I copied my jar in the keycloak/providers directory, this works.

Then, I started to depend on a third party library, so I needed to add this third party jar in my providers directory. Since it’s not very convenient to copy all third party libs I tried some other ways but I’m lost now.

I could build an ear file with my my custom jar and third party libs in it, and place it in the deployments directory, but then the service module loader fails with the following message:

17:13:31,485 WARN  [org.jboss.modules] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 50) Failed to define class nl.MyAuthenticatorFactory in Module "deployment.keycloak-authenticator-ear-1.0-SNAPSHOT.ear.keycloak-authenticat-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:main" from Service Module Loader: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Failed to link nl/MyAuthenticatorFactory (Module "deployment.keycloak-authenticator-ear-1.0-SNAPSHOT.ear.keycloak-authenticator-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:main" from Service Module Loader): org/keycloak/authentication/AuthenticatorFactory.

When I put the ear in the providers dir, it’s not picked up at all.

I think I’m missing something in my ear file, I read something about a jboss-deployment-structure.xml but can’t find a good example of using this in this situation.

So, hopefully you can help me with these quesitons:

  1.  Isn’t it possible to depend on a third party lib that’s already on the keycloak’s default classpath? I’m depending on commons-lang lib, thought which is also in keycloak’s default classpath, but still when using my provider I get a ClassNotFound error
  2.  The documentation is mentioning two ways to deploy a provider: using the /providers dir or using the deployments dir, which one is recommended when?
  3.  What’s the expected structure of an ear file for use in the deployments directory? Currently I have the same as Dmitry mentioned below

Op 22 jan. 2017, om 23:16 heeft Dmitry Telegin <mitya at cargosoft.ru<mailto:mitya at cargosoft.ru>> het volgende geschreven:

Tried with 2.5.0.Final - the EAR doesn't get recursed unless there's an
application.xml with all the internal JARs explicitly declared as
modules. Could it have been some special jboss-deployment-structure.xml
in your case?

Either way, it's a very subtle issue that deserves being documented
IMHO.

Cheers,
Dmitry