[keycloak-dev] Improve back-button and refreshes in authenticators?

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Fri Mar 17 11:21:26 EDT 2017

The best user experience would be that the user can click the
back/forward/refresh buttons as they wanted and things would work as
they would expect, i.e. if you're on the OTP page, you could click the
back button and go to the username/password page and re-enter username
password.  I didn't implement support for this approach as its really
freakin hard to get right.

The real question is, do we want to support going backwards or forwards
in a flow?  If we don't, then there are considerations and limitations
on what we can do for the user experience which I was trying to get at
before.  Specifically:

* Is it possible to determine the difference between the back, forward,
or refresh button event?

That is the question I struggled the most with when implementing auth
flow processing.

I'd say we set the bar low and minimally try to provide this experience:

* If back, forward, or refresh button is pushed, show the "Page expired"
page you suggested before Stian.

Anything different than that will be dependent on the limitations of the
browser and our auth flow implementation.

There's also another type of user experience you aren't considering that
should be involved with the discussion.  Specifically the user
experience of writing an Authenticator.  You want the Authenticator
development to be simple...you also want to make sure that its
implemented in a way that developers can't make mistakes and introduce
security holes by accident.  All this stuff is tied together which makes
the problem really complex.