[keycloak-dev] JWS sizes

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Wed Mar 22 04:12:09 EDT 2017

On 22/03/17 08:43, Stian Thorgersen wrote:
> It's even worse there's cases where cookie storage is limited to 2k
> per domain. Some reverse proxies have that as the default apparently.
>
> On 21 March 2017 at 18:57, Marek Posolda <mposolda at redhat.com
> <mailto:mposolda at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     I guess we're not going to support cookie storage anyway, but if
>     yes (in
>     theory) isn't it sufficient to go with Hmac-SHA256 based signature? It
>     would be Keycloak server itself, which both creates and verifies
>     cookie,
>     so perhaps not a need for bigger and less performant RSA?
>
>     Which reminds that we can probably save some performance points by
>     using
>     HMAC for refresh tokens too? Since it's the Keycloak itself which
>     signs
>     and verifies it and from the adapter perspective, refresh token is
>     just
>     an opaque string.
>

> +1 Good point! Can you JIRA it and set fix version to 3.3 please?
Created https://issues.jboss.org/browse/KEYCLOAK-4622 for refresh tokens.

Also created https://issues.jboss.org/browse/KEYCLOAK-4623 for client
registration tokens, which I think is a similar case. The performance
here is not so critical though, but still, I think the fix would be
pretty-easy and worth to do it IMO.

Marek