[keycloak-dev] Action tokens

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Fri Mar 31 03:17:19 EDT 2017

I was thinking if we can have the variant of the interactive email
verification flows ("interactive" means those not triggered by admin,
but by user himself during authentication process) like this:

- User triggers the flow (For example by click "Forget password" on
login screen in case of reset-password. Other actions like
identity-broker linking verification are triggered automatically during
authentication flow etc)
- Browser displays "We just sent you an email with the generated code.
Please type this code here: ". The input field will be displayed too.
- Email doesn't contain any link. Just the generated code. User needs to
copy/paste it to the field in the browser and after submit, the flow
continues.

Advantages:
- No need to care about spam filters. As no link in the email
- No need to care if it's same or different browser. Flow will always
continue in same browser
- Cross-dc solved. It would be always same browser, so we just need to
keep the code in authentication session. No action-tokens or any
cross-dc replication needed

Does it sucks from the usability perspective? For me personally not, as
when I need to deal with some web-page, which sends me those
verification emails, I usually just copy/paste the link into the browser
instead of directly clicking on it (yes, because I don't know in which
browser it will be opened and I usually want to continue in the same
browser).

We will still need action-tokens for the admin actions though. For the
interactive actions, admin will have possibility to choose if he wants
action-tokens (with link in the email etc) or this optimized flow. I can
see this can help with spam, cross-dc performance, so IMO makes sense
for some deployments.

Marek