[keycloak-dev] Authentication with Google Identity Tokens aka Better Android support

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Tue Sep 12 23:25:10 EDT 2017

Interesting, but maybe not that straightforward to do.

Depends on what flow you'd like to use. The ideal would be to use the web
redirect flow (authorization code flow). Using the web redirect flow you
can still display forms if needed. For instance if the ID token isn't valid
and you want to ask for username/password instead, the user needs to update
their profile, etc..

Alternative is to use the direct grant (aka resource owner credential
grant) flow to simply exchange the ID token retrieved from Google with
tokens from Keycloak.

In either case this can be done with custom authentication flow and
authenticator. Take a look at the server developer guide and our examples
for some inspiration there. It may also better fit in with identity
brokering, but that would probably require code changes on the Keycloak
side rather than just an extension.