[keycloak-dev] OAuth 2.0 Mutual TLS Client Authentication

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Wed Aug 1 08:43:59 EDT 2018

On 30/07/18 09:20, Sebastien Blanc wrote:
> Thanks Takashi, this is really useful information. Some comments inline
>
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 2:40 AM, 乗松隆志 / NORIMATSU,TAKASHI <
> takashi.norimatsu.ws at hitachi.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Sebastien,
>>
>> I've read the ticket you mentioned: https://issues.jboss.org/
>> browse/KEYCLOAK-7635
>>
>> I'm not sure what the token review endpoint is (similar to RFC 7662 OAuth
>> 2.0 Token Introspection?), but I inferred the following situation.
>> * OpenShift accesses keycloak's token review endpoint with some token, but
>> without client_id query parameter or client_id encoded Authorization
>> header. Therefore, keycloak cannot conduct client authentication. In this
>> situation, a client certificate might be used for client authentication in
>> the context of OAuth 2.0.
>>
>> Also, I'm not sure how to enclose client_id or client_id identifiable
>> information onto a client certificate and extract it. So I would like to
>> comment on other aspects other that it.
>>
>> - register client dn
>> According to 2.1.2. Client Registration Metadata of OAuth 2.0 Mutual TLS
>> Client Authentication and Certificate Bound Access Tokens (
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-mtls-10#section-2.1.2), each
>> client has "tls_client_auth_subject_dn" metadata parameter's value. This
>> has already been mentioned by @mposolda in https://issues.jboss.org/
>> browse/KEYCLOAK-7512
>>
>> In keycloak, OIDCClientRepresentation defines these OIDC Dynamic client
>> registration properties.
>>
>> OIDCAdvancedConfigWrapper can be used to convert these properties onto
>> attributes of the client model.
>>
>> DescriptionConverter can be used to convert internal representation of the
>> client onto external one (through OIDC Dynamic client registration) and
>> vice versa.
>>
>> IMO, at least, those three classes have to be modified to support this new
>> OIDC Client Registration property "tls_client_auth_subject_dn".
>>
> This is a nice complement to what Marek said in the ticket and makes thing
> clearer for me as well.
> But this would mean that Openshift should use dynamic client registration
> to make this flow works ?

Now I remember that few months ago, Bill implemented the support for
ClientStorage SPI. And I think he implemented it mainly because of
Openshift. It somehow allows to provision clients automatically from 3rd
party source (EG. from Openshift) without a need to manually
register/create them. So I guess (not 100% sure) that Openshift
integration will use this for client provisioning and it won't use
dynamic client registration.

IMO using dynamic client registration will be more aligned with the OIDC
specs, but I guess we don't have a "power" to change the behaviour of
Openshift. Or do we? :-)

But support for the OIDC Dynamic client registration, which Takashi
mentions, and which is mentioned in the specification, will be good to
have IMO even if it's not something directly useful for Openshift. If
it's not priority for you and Openshift integration, we can maybe at
least create some follow-up JIRA to add it later?

Marek