[keycloak-dev] Keycloak Modules developed for the Cloudtrust project

Pedro Igor Silva psilva at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 11:40:56 EDT 2018

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 8:36 AM, Doswald Alistair <alistair.doswald at elca.ch>
wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I’ve now received two questions concerning how the authorization module
> works, so I thought best to answer them both at the same time.
>

> Pedro Igor’s description  (attached below) is broadly correct, but I’ll
> elaborate more on the principals. As mentioned, it’s a bit hacky. The
> solutions basically hijacks the existing authorization system used for OIDC
> clients and UMA, but makes it available to other client types as well.
>

> The initial step is allowing all clients to define authorization rule by
> giving them access to the authorization GUI. This allows us to use all the
> policy and permissions’ systems to create rules for the user access. The
> one thing that must be done is to create the "Keycloak Client Resource"
> (and indeed define any permission to it) in order to activate the local
> evaluation for the client. Using a specifically named resource allows us to
> separate the case from an OIDC client that also wants to use the regular
> authorization services. The limitation when compared to UMA is that you
> can’t protect a specific resource, it’s all the client or nothing.
>

> When a user attempts to connect with one of those clients, we let the
> authentication process continue until the authentication process for
> keycloak is finished (if it is not already established), but check the
> authorization status before an actual token is sent to that client. The
> authorization process (in class LocalAuthorizationService.java) also uses
> existing systems. We use the current state of the system to construct an
> AccessToken, which we then submit to an AuthorizationProvider. If the user
> is permitted to continue, he will receive the token. If not, he will
> receive a 403 FORBIDDEN. Without the token for a specific client, he should
> never be able to access that client. But whether the user is authorized for
> a client or not, the user is authenticated in keycloak, and can continue to
> enjoy SSO services for any client for which he is authorized.
>

> Of course, this is all only valid for keycloak 3.4.3.Final. I haven’t yet
> gotten around to checking the changes in keycloak 4.X, and seeing if the
> system is still valid with the changes to the authorization system. I’ll
> also readily admit that our current solution lacks polish (and there’s
> probably some edge cases that we haven’t thought of).

Not sure if you are aware of the admin fine-grained permission
functionality, which you can use today to restrict what users can do in the
admin console. I think we could leverage this existing functionality by
including a specific scope. A scope like "login" would be enough, I think,
so you could just associate any policy you want to this scope in order to
restrict who/how/when is allowed to authenticate with a client.