[keycloak-dev] PKCE support for Keycloak Adapters (OAuthRequestAuthenticator)

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Wed Jun 6 04:11:58 EDT 2018

Hi Thomas,

I think it is great and will be good to support this in our javascript
adapter OOTB.

Few comments:
- In keycloak.js, we use "createUUID()" function to generate "nonce" and
"state" . IMO it will be good if all the things (nonce, state,
codeVerifier...) are generated through same mechanism. I guess that we
can use "window.crypto" or "window.msCrypto", but if none of them is
available, then just fallback to what is currently used in
"createUUID()" ? Also change the current generating of "nonce" and
"state" to this as I suppose that "window.crypto" or "window.msCrypto"
are safer alternatives than our current "createUUID()" ?

- I have same concern as you about localStorage, but don't have any
better alternative... No idea if sessionStorage is better.

- We should document what browsers supports it. I guess that due to
fallback for crypto/msCrypto, the "plain" method shouldn't be an issue
for any browser as codeVerifier will be always generated just fine? But
I guess that S256, which requires this "Uint8Array" stuff may have
compatibility issues? Or am I wrong here? The issue is, that people can
still use very old browsers (For example Windows XP with IE6) and not
sure how bad it is if those people with old browsers can't authenticate...

Marek