[keycloak-dev] Proposal: Improvements to IdpUsernamePasswordForm

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Tue Apr 2 09:21:48 EDT 2019

On 28/03/2019 17:06, Dmitry Telegin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working to implement the following requirements:
> - users are managed externally via LDAP, self-registrations disabled;
> - there is an external IdP;
> - generally, there is no way to automatically match IdP identity with Keycloak's one, so IdP linking will always be performed by the user manually;
> - in order to do that, the user should click the IdP icon in the login screen, authenticate with the IdP, get back to Keycloak and "claim" his/her Keycloak account by entering correct username and password.
>
> Currently, the closest thing in Keycloak is o.k.authentication.authenticators.broker.IdpUsernamePasswordForm (aka "idp-username-password-form", aka "Username Password Form for identity provider reauthentication").
> However, it 1) prefills username field and makes it non-editable, 2) depends on the preceding IdpCreateUserIfUniqueAuthenticator execution to provide existing user model (EXISTING_USER_INFO auth note).
>
> My proposal is to improve IdpUsernamePasswordForm by allowing its execution even without the preceding IdpCreateUserIfUniqueAuthenticator. In the absence of EXISTING_USER_INFO, IdpUsernamePasswordForm should allow the user to manually enter username.

I wonder if you can't already achieve something like this with the OOTB
authenticator implementations, but just correctly configure them? For
example in the "First Broker Login" flow used for your identity
provider, you can just directly use the default browser-based
authenticator ( UsernamePasswordForm ) instead of the
IdpUsernamePasswordForm. That way, the username+password form will be
always shown for "First Broker Login" and once user authenticates, his
account will be linked with IdP account.

Marek