[keycloak-dev] OIDC Discovery-enabled IdentityProvider

James Campbell james.p.campbell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 23:14:34 EST 2019

All--

Thanks to Stian's recommendations for similar features in the codebase,
I've developed a proposal for how to implement this feature, and sketched
out an initial implementation. As he suggested, I'd like to get feedback
before opening up a PR.

1. We introduce a new subclass of the OIDCIdentityProvider / Factory called
OIDCDiscoveryIdentityProvider. The new class adds a discoverConfig method
that can be used to discover and set all relevant endpoints in a
configuration except the issuer. Issuer then becomes the sole required
element of the config. (So the GoogleIdentityProvider, for example, will
then just call discoverConfig with its hard-coded issuer).
   -> During the parseConfig call, the Factory will raise a
RuntimeException if the config cannot be obtained, since if the config can
never be obtained there is no way to have a valid configuration at all.
   -> During the discoverConfig call, we return the cached value, and
optionally refresh it based on when we last obtained the configuration.
   -> In the event of a failure in the *refresh* I'm imagining the best
behavior is to log a warning but then return the cached config (last known
good config).

2. We introduce an SPI and interface called
OIDCDiscoveryRepresentationProvider / Factory and implementations called
Infinispan... which obtains OIDCConfigurationRepresentations using the
/.well-known/openid-configuration endpoint on the issuer.

I have a couple questions:

1. I began an implementation of this, but the @JsonProperty annotations on
the existing OIDCCOnfigurationRepresentation class seem to be ignored when
I try to have it read from the openid-configuration docuement, e.g.:
  - OIDCConfigurationRepresentation rep = SimpleHttp.doGet(issuer +
"/.well-known/openid-configuration",
session).asJson(OIDCConfigurationRepresentation.class); // FAILS with
"Unrecognized field ..." Perhaps a mismatch of the jackson annotation
version in the keycloak-model-infinispan submodule?

2. Assuming the design above makes sense, what is the right way to plug
this into the testing framework? Is one of the core developers interested
in tackling that aspect if I push a PR with the above features implemented?

James