[keycloak-dev] Certificate subject DN is provider dependent

Pedro Igor Silva psilva at redhat.com
Tue Feb 12 15:04:41 EST 2019

Pretty much, but not the same. The fix for this still does not seem to
solve the problem being discussed in the other thread.

The change provided by Sebastian does solve this problem while still
backwards compatible with certificates with subject dn containing an
emailAddress. My point though is whether or not we should be backward
compatible given that emailAddress is a deprecated RDN in the subject DN.

As you mentioned, RFC-2253 was superseded by RFC-4514 and there you can't
have emailAddress in subject DN but prefer a SAN. So, my question is ... Is
OK in 2019 to assume that certificates are using RFC-4514 ? So we could
just use the canonical format in our side and avoid any additional
configuration.

You are right, java defaults to RFC-2253, I'm not sure if the "canonical"
format is related with the support for 4514 (at least removing emailAddress
from subject DN).