[keycloak-dev] PKCE in keycloak-servlet-oauth-client does not work

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Tue Mar 12 09:38:02 EDT 2019

It is a bit similar to recently deprecated JAXRS filter.

AFAIR it is one of the very early-days keycloak features and the
use-case behind this was, that you have web frontend java application,
which is not secured by Keycloak and doesn't use adapter. But you still
want to have a way to invoke the REST services from this application,
which are secured by Keycloak. So you want to trigger the OAuth flow
manually from the Java without having the adapter to do it for you -
that's what this client is doing.

I think that this client can be almost always replaced by adapter or by
the servlet filter. The only case when it couldn't be replaced by
servlet filter is, when you have non-servlet java application.

This OAuth client is unmaintained and it is missing lot of features,
which were recently added to the adapter. I suggest to deprecate it and
then remove in the future (or eventually move to the community
maintained extension if people still wants to use it?)

Marek