[keycloak-dev] Application Initiated Actions

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Fri Mar 22 07:01:51 EDT 2019

I am sorry to join this so late.

My concern is, that in the design, it was mentioned that consent will be
always required from the user. I understand that this simplifies the
flow as it's more secure and not need to authenticate the client.
However from the usability perspective, it doesn't look so nice to me.

For example assume that in the application, the user just clicked on the
button "Link my account with Facebook" . Then after login with Facebook,
he will see another splash screen like "Application XY wants to link
your account with Facebook", which he needs to confirm. It may be
especially bad for usability in this case with linking social accounts,
as user may see one splash screen shown by Facebook "Application
keycloak wants to access your Facebook profile and email" and then
immediately another splash screen shown by Keycloak "Application Foo
wants to link your account with Facebook" .

Maybe I am wrong, but my guess is, that our users will very quickly come
with requirement "Can I ommit to show the splash screen?" . It is bit
similar to the "Consent Required" switch, which I guess most people have
OFF for their clients. So IMO I would rather count with this from the
beginning and count with the fact, that we will need to ommit consent
screen and hence verify client.

With regards to this, It seems that we may need also to specify if
client is:
- Allowed to initiate action
- Allowed to initate action with the consent required
- Allowed to initate action with no-consent required
Maybe the "Consent required" switch can be on instead on the action
itself, but the will still need to restrict if client is allowed or not
to perform the action.

With regards to the flow, I suggest that KC will require full
OIDC/OAuth2 flow. In other words, when KC redirects back to the client,
the client will be required to send code-to-token request. And the
action (EG. Keycloak user linked with Facebook) is done *after* the
whole flow (including code-to-token flow) is finished. That should be
sufficient to verify the client and at the same time, it will allow us
to add some more things to tokens (EG. some facebook details) . Downside
is, that it will be harder to implement though as the SPI will likely
need another callback after code-to-token flow to "finish" the action...

Last thing, I was thinking about using "scope" parameter to reference
those actions instead of have proprietary "kc_action" thing. The we
don't need any extensions of OIDC. It may simplify things like consents
etc. Also client will be able to have something similar like we have in
"Client Scopes" tab - the list of action, which he is allowed to
initiate. But I am not sure about this last point and maybe it's better
to keep things separated...

Marek