[keycloak-dev] Users and Realms

Bruno Oliveira bruno at abstractj.org
Fri May 17 08:40:12 EDT 2019

I agree with Stan on the use cases.

Looking at what you suggested it reminds me about something that we
talked some time ago called "Realms of realms".

The idea consisted of sharing clients, roles, client scopes,
users...across multiple instances through realm inheritance. Into other
words, you have a "master" realm with these items that you wanted to
share, and the other realms that would benefit from it. Keep in mind that I'm
briefly summarizing it.

Of course, the complexity to implement this is far from being simple as your
proposal, but maybe your idea could complement what was suggested for
"Realms of realms".

On 2019-05-16, Pedro Igor Silva wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you know, currently users belong to a realm and as such, you can't share
> them across different realms. We always had people looking for alternatives
> about how to solve this problem where all the available options have their
> pros and cons.
>
> I would like to see what you think about decoupling users from realms in a
> way that user federation and management are completely decoupled from
> realms so that users (or group of users) can be *associated* with realms.
>
> As an example, here is how you would configure users and realms in Keycloak:
>
> 1) Configure your identity stores/user federation from where users will be
> fetched. Or create users in Keycloak.
>
> 2) Assign to your users a label or a logical group. This assignment could
> be done manually or even automatically depending on:
>
>     a) default group where all users are in
>     b) the identity store from where users are fetched
>     c) based on the user's email (domain)
>     d) anything else that makes sense
>
> 3) Create a realm and specify which users should belong to a realm based on
> these labels or groups. A realm should be able to have users with different
> labels/groups.
>
> The realm definition/configuration would not change much as it stands
> today. Each of them would still have their own way of managing realm
> specific groups and roles.
>
> Regards.
> Pedro Igor

abstractj