[keycloak-dev] Usability: Improve screen for setup TOTP

Jan Lieskovsky jlieskov at redhat.com
Fri Nov 22 06:13:11 EST 2019

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 11:37 AM Stian Thorgersen <sthorger at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Auto-generated labels like "Phone 1", etc. just looks stupid. I would
> rather make the label optional for the first one, but mandatory for the
> second one.

I like this approach. Should we use some base / template name for the first
one,
something like "Default one-time token", rather than just allow blank name?

> A second one can only be added through the account console
> anyways and the users can then add a label to the first one if they didn't
> already do it.

Then can add or should be required to add?

> For OTP I would consider not asking for a label for the
> first one. For WebAuthn I would always ask for one. By the way doesn't the
> WebAuthn registration include details about the device? Can't the device
> name from that be used as the label?

It's possible. If (re)-using this information, should we ask the user for
approval to be
able to use it? (not to possibly leak something, they wouldn't want to be
used) Or just use it?

> and you are right. UA parser doesn't help as most will probably register
> from their desktop, not the phone, so would be the wrong device name.
>
> Device name or Phone name, either works to be honest. I'd say Phone is
> better as 99% will use an app on a phone, not on the desktop, but okay with
> Device name as well.
>
> In the new account console it shouldn't display "Device name", but rather
> just have it as a label next to the credential-name, and it should use
> something like cards, not tables. So would be something like:

> Authenticator app [Samsung]        [default]
> Authenticator app [My tablet]
> Security key [YubiCo]

Similar here, if we are able somehow to extract the information in the
square brackets
from the underlying device automagically, should we ask the user for the
approval to use it?
(since it would be displayed on the following auth screens later)