[keycloak-dev] Usability: Improve screen for setup TOTP

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Fri Nov 22 06:37:55 EST 2019

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 at 12:12, Jan Lieskovsky <jlieskov at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 11:37 AM Stian Thorgersen <sthorger at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Auto-generated labels like "Phone 1", etc. just looks stupid. I would
>> rather make the label optional for the first one, but mandatory for the
>> second one.
>

> I like this approach. Should we use some base / template name for the
> first one,
> something like "Default one-time token", rather than just allow blank name?

A default value has no meaning to the user - unless it is somehow generated
based on the actual device used. For OTP that is not possible, so should
just be empty. For WebAuthn I believe we can take something from the
registration metadata as I think it does include information about the
device.

>> A second one can only be added through the account console
>> anyways and the users can then add a label to the first one if they didn't
>> already do it.
>

> Then can add or should be required to add?

For second one it should be required.

>> For OTP I would consider not asking for a label for the
>> first one. For WebAuthn I would always ask for one. By the way doesn't the
>> WebAuthn registration include details about the device? Can't the device
>> name from that be used as the label?
>>

> It's possible. If (re)-using this information, should we ask the user for
> approval to be
> able to use it? (not to possibly leak something, they wouldn't want to be
> used) Or just use it?

It's information about the device, not the user, and it's already in the
registered credential I think. In either case it's just a default value and
the user should be able to change it.

>> and you are right. UA parser doesn't help as most will probably register
>> from their desktop, not the phone, so would be the wrong device name.
>>
>> Device name or Phone name, either works to be honest. I'd say Phone is
>> better as 99% will use an app on a phone, not on the desktop, but okay
>> with
>> Device name as well.
>>
>> In the new account console it shouldn't display "Device name", but rather
>> just have it as a label next to the credential-name, and it should use
>> something like cards, not tables. So would be something like:

>> Authenticator app [Samsung]        [default]
>> Authenticator app [My tablet]
>> Security key [YubiCo]
>>

> Similar here, if we are able somehow to extract the information in the
> square brackets
> from the underlying device automagically, should we ask the user for the
> approval to use it?
> (since it would be displayed on the following auth screens later)

If we can extract a sensible label it should just be the default on the
form, where the user can change it if they want to,