[keycloak-dev] Proposal: HttpClient SPI improvements

Dmitry Telegin demetrio at carretti.pro
Thu Sep 12 06:02:58 EDT 2019

Hi,

We are considering the following improvements to the HttpClient SPI:
- ability to return a JAX-RS client instance in addition to Apache HttpClient. The former will use the latter as an engine;
- multiple clients with config param overrides (pooling/TTLs/timeouts/etc.)

Just wanted to know if the Keycloak team would be interested in having this in upstream.

The main purpose is to simplify development of the providers that consume multiple external REST services. Background: our in-house providers are currently using ad-hoc ResteasyClient, and there are concerns about thread safety and code duplication, so we're looking into migrating to the built-in HttpClient wrapped into JAX-RS client.

Regards,
Dmitry