[keycloak-dev] Shared messages between themes

cedric@couralet.eu cedric at couralet.eu
Tue Sep 17 15:29:02 EDT 2019

Le Jeudi, Septembre 12, 2019 15:20 CEST, Stian Thorgersen <sthorger at redhat.com> a écrit:

> On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 at 12:55, cedric at couralet.eu <cedric at couralet.eu> wrote:
>
> > Do you mean copy all the messages which are in the
> > theme/base/(account,login,admin...) and group them in an unique file in a
> > theme-ressource?
> >

> One reason why it is split is that it makes it possible to translate only
> for example login pages, but not have to translate admin console. For that
> reason only common messages should be moved to the shared message bundle.

ok, for now I took the messages which appear more than one time (same key, same value) in one of the messages_en.properties, but it will need to be validated.

> > I could be interested as it could ease doing translations.
>

> Great
>

> > Which module could be used for that (core, common, a new one)?
> >

> Should be added to:
> themes/src/main/resources/theme-resources/messages/messages_en.properties
>
> There's a small tweak that needs to be done to support this. Right now
> built-in themes are loaded from KC_HOME/themes directory, which doesn't
> have support for theme-resources. So I can see two options:
>
> a) Add KC_HOME/theme_resources and have it loaded as a theme resource
> b) Delete built-in themes from base, then go back to including themes as a
> JAR. themes/README.md should then be updated to include instructions on how
> to find built-in themes.
>
> I'm in favour of option b as built-in themes should not be modified
> directly. Should also make upgrading easier as the whole themes directory
> can be copied from one version to the next, rather than now individual
> themes within has to be copied separately to not override updated built-in
> themes.

I am not familiar with how is built keycloak on top on wildfly (and I don't see much documentaiton about that). What I did was create a module keycloak-theme and change the keycloak-server xml (in wildfly module) to add the theme module keycloak-theme. It seems to work but not sure if it is the right way ?

> > What would need to be tested ?
> >

> Existing tests will test some of it I believe, but will probably be good to
> add some additional tests to make sure that login, admin and account all
> are able to load common messages. We'll probably also need to carefully
> review the PR and do some manual testing when reviewing.

Before I create that PR, is there a JIRA with that idea ? Should I create one?