[keycloak-dev] Moving to standardized Promises

Jon Koops jonkoops at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 07:12:48 EDT 2019

Hi all,

I've created some pull requests and tasks for moving towards standardized
Promises instead of Keycloak's own custom implementation in order to start
a discussion about how to move forward. There has already been some
discussion about plans to migrate away from the current situation in
KEYCLOAK-9346 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/KEYCLOAK-9346>.

I believe the first order of business to start migrating towards a better
place would be to start informing Keycloak's users about the change. In
order to do so I propose to make the following changes:

1. The documentation of the JavaScript Adapter should reflect the
preference of using the native promises. We can accomplish this by updating
the examples used and providing additional documentation of the promiseType
field.
2. Users that are currently using Keycloak should be informed that
standardized promises are preferred and that they should move away from the
current implementation. In order to do so a deprecation warning should be
logged in the console with instructions on how to migrate their existing
code.

I've created the following issues and pull requests for this:

*Updates to the documentation preferring promiseType native*
- https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak-documentation/pull/742
- https://issues.jboss.org/browse/KEYCLOAK-11436

*Updates to the adapter to inform users of the deprecation*
- https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/pull/6318
- https://issues.jboss.org/browse/KEYCLOAK-11435

Furthermore I would like to start a discussion on these changes and how to
move forward after. Feedback on this is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Jon