[keycloak-dev] A newly added Hardcoded Role mapper ignores users that have already logged in before

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Wed Sep 25 04:22:36 EDT 2019

On 25. 09. 19 8:37, Stian Thorgersen wrote:
> Adding config options on a single mappers is not really a great
> solution. We need to make sure there is a consistent approach
> throughout. We probably don't have consistent and predictable
> behaviour today, but I would rather not make it worse by introducing
> random config options on mappers.
>
> Main question is if this should be controlled on individual mappers or
> if it should mainly be a config on the identity provider.
>
> Having the config on the identity provider would make more sense as it
> would be simpler to configure and it would avoid corner cases.

I am not very sure about the single option at Idp level.

IMO in many cases, the requirement is to have "mixed" mode. For example
customer wants that profile info (firstName, lastName, email etc) are
managed from Idp and always want to use latest stuff from Idp during
every login, but the role mappings should be managed entirely by
Keycloak. Or possibly roles are just initially imported from Idp, but
then managed by Keycloak etc.

> There's probably at least 3 different modes for identity brokering
> that should be supported:
>
> 1) Import only - User is only imported if it doesn't exist. If user
> already exists nothing is updated.
> 2) Sync - Allow changes to the user within Keycloak, but also sync
> changes from external IdP
> 3) External - Do not allow any changes to the user within Keycloak as
> the user should be fully managed from the external IdP
>
> Option 1 is trivial.
>
> Option 2 can be very complicated. Take the example of the hardcoded
> role for instance. User first logs in, the role is added. An admin
> then removes the role from the user. User logs in again and the role
> is re-added. Same example can be applied to last name for instance.
> User logs in. 6 months later the user changes the last name in
> Keycloak account console, but then next day when they re-login the
> last name is changed back.
>
> Option 3 is relatively trivial, but would need some tweaks within
> Keycloak. A user that is fully externally managed should not be able
> to use Keycloak account console and should be view-only in the admin
> console.

1 is what we already have.

2 is what we will have if we add the switch to the mapper or Idp. IMO
this won't be complicated to implement, but I agree that behaviour is
quite tricky... It is maybe fine for many deployments, but it will need
to be clearly documented that update on Keycloak side will be lost upon
next login to Idp.

3 will be more complicated to implement and will require changes to SPI
of IdentityProviderMapper. For example we may need
IdentityProviderMappers to return UserModel, so that they are able to
return proxy object (subclass of UserModelDelegate) similarly like
UserStorage providers do. This will allow lots of flexibility and mixed
mode (EG. support for profile data to be managed by Idp and being
read-only in Keycloak, but role memberships to be managed by Keycloak
and hence editable from Keycloak). Problem is, that there are lots of
corner-cases with that approach. Especially user can be linked to
multiple Identity providers, but the UserModel proxy object should be
always the same...

Another point is, that we have the use-case from many people, that Idp
user should be "temporary" in Keycloak (EG. read-only and not written to
Keycloak DB at all) and also the requirement to register the Idp user to
specified userStorage provider. If we do any major change in the
IdentityProviderMappers and related Keycloak codebase, we should
probably address this use-case as well at the same time IMO.

Marek