[keycloak-user] SSO Session Idle Timeout for Direct Grants

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Thu Aug 21 17:34:16 EDT 2014

I don't agree...

Your application should be checking for token timeouts and performing a
refresh.  The response from direct-grant gives you a refresh token as
well as an access token as well as a timeout (which you could check from
the access token).

Since you have a refresh token, you can refresh the access token.  You
still want the same setup:  Short access token lifespan
(seconds/minutes) with a longer refresh timeout minutes/hours.  This is
for revocation checks, permission changes, etc.

I could set up a different SSO timeout/access token timeout for grant
requests if you want, but that would have to be after 1.0.final.

On 8/21/2014 1:44 PM, Schneider, John DODGE CONSULTING SERVICES, LLC wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m finding that access tokens and refresh tokens are being invalidated
> after the setting in the “SSO Session Idle Timeout” has elapsed for the
> direct-grant API.  Considering the direct-grant API enables browser-less
> application-to-application security, I’m not convinced that this is the
> right approach for many use cases.  For reliable authorization and
> access token validation, it basically requires setting the “SSO Session
> Idle Timeout” to the value of the Access Token timeout, which for many
> use cases will be measured in hours or even days.
>
> Is there a good reason that “SSO Session Idle Timeout” should even be
> considered for direct-grants?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Bill Burke