[keycloak-user] KEYCLOAK-1735 - possible to recategorise it as an urgent bug not enhancement?

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Fri Oct 23 01:52:08 EDT 2015

Sorry for late response, but this one ended up in my spam for some reason.

KEYCLOAK-1735 is not a bug as by definition a bug is something that not
works as designed. I agree with you that the approach is less than elegant,
which is why we have an outstanding issue to enhance this.

At some point we are going to redesign the admin permissions to provide
more fine grained control, which will make it possible to create admins
that can manage groups of users and/or roles. However, the way it works now
is that it's an all or nothing thing. End of the day though if someone with
manage-users role was prevented from making them selves an admin of
Keycloak, they would still have the power to make themselves an admin (or
the equivalent role) in your applications and in that way obtaining full
permissions to all your business logic/data. So that's a permissions you
should only give to a trusted individual in the first place. With that in
mind I disagree that this is really a vulnerability, but I appreciate that
the permission is to course for most.