[keycloak-user] Occasional NPE while retrieving token

Orestis Tsakiridis orestis.tsakiridis at telestax.com
Thu Sep 10 05:51:47 EDT 2015

Hello Marek,

It looks like we've cornered the issue after all :-)

I managed to reproduce it on a relatively clean keycloak setup with the
following steps:

         1. Create application app-dg that will be used to get tokens using
direct access grants.
                Accesstype: Public
                Direct Grants Onlye: true

            2. Create application app-test.
                AccessType: Bearer only

            3. Create application level role 'role-test' in app-test.

            4. Create user user-test. Assign it application level role
app-test:role-test and set his password to 'password'

            5. Retrieve a token for user-test using direct access grants:

               $ curl -k -X POST
http://127.0.0.1:8080/auth/realms/restcomm/protocol/openid-connect/token -d
"grant_type=password" -d "client_id=app-dg" -d "username=user-test" -d
"password=password"

               And the token:
               {
                  "jti": "f68e595e-d612-42a1-b4f2-0af2b32b7dd7",
                  "exp": 1441881384,
                  "nbf": 0,
                  "iat": 1441877784,
                  "iss": "http://127.0.0.1:8080/auth/realms/restcomm",
                  "aud": "app-dg",
                  "sub": "067021e3-0fac-49dd-931b-1d26eb8ceb70",
                  "azp": "app-dg",
                  "session_state": "03903e0d-4748-4aba-bf5e-c0529757c13d",
                  "client_session": "7f8417c0-9fd0-4e65-a3d8-a9335cb1f704",
                  "allowed-origins": [],
                  "resource_access": {
                    "app-test": {
                      "roles": [
                        "role-test"
                      ]
                    },
                    "account": {
                      "roles": [
                        "view-profile",
                        "manage-account"
                      ]
                    }
                  },
                  "name": "",
                  "preferred_username": "user-test"
                }

           6. Remove app-test

            7. Try to retrieve a token once more and the error appears:

                12:39:37,260 ERROR [io.undertow.request] (default task-17)
UT005023: Exception handling request to
/auth/realms/restcomm/protocol/openid-connect/token:
java.lang.RuntimeException: request path:
/auth/realms/restcomm/protocol/openid-connect/token
                    at
org.keycloak.services.filters.KeycloakSessionServletFilter.doFilter(KeycloakSessionServletFilter.java:73)
                    at
io.undertow.servlet.core.ManagedFilter.doFilter(ManagedFilter.java:60)
                    at
io.undertow.servlet.handlers.FilterHandler$FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterHandler.java:132)
                    at
io.undertow.servlet.handlers.FilterHandler.handleRequest(FilterHandler.java:85)
                    at
io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.ServletSecurityRoleHandler.handleRequest(ServletSecurityRoleHandler.java:62)
                    at
io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletDispatchingHandler.handleRequest(ServletDispatchingHandler.java:36)
                    at
org.wildfly.extension.undertow.security.SecurityContextAssociationHandler.handleRequest(SecurityContextAssociationHandler.java:78)
                    at
io.undertow.server.handlers.PredicateHandler.handleRequest(PredicateHandler.java:43)
                    at
io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.SSLInformationAssociationHandler.handleRequest(SSLInformationAssociationHandler.java:131)
                    at
io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.ServletAuthenticationCallHandler.handleRequest(ServletAuthenticationCallHandler.java:57)
                    at
io.undertow.server.handlers.PredicateHandler.handleRequest(PredicateHandler.java:43)
                    at
io.undertow.security.handlers.AbstractConfidentialityHandler.handleRequest(AbstractConfidentialityHandler.java:46)
                    at
io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.ServletConfidentialityConstraintHandler.handleRequest(ServletConfidentialityConstraintHandler.java:64)
                    at
io.undertow.security.handlers.AuthenticationMechanismsHandler.handleRequest(AuthenticationMechanismsHandler.java:58)
                    at
io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.CachedAuthenticatedSessionHandler.handleRequest(CachedAuthenticatedSessionHandler.java:72)
                    at
io.undertow.security.handlers.NotificationReceiverHandler.handleRequest(NotificationReceiverHandler.java:50)
                    at
io.undertow.security.handlers.SecurityInitialHandler.handleRequest(SecurityInitialHandler.java:76)
                    at
io.undertow.server.handlers.PredicateHandler.handleRequest(PredicateHandler.java:43)
                    at
org.wildfly.extension.undertow.security.jacc.JACCContextIdHandler.handleRequest(JACCContextIdHandler.java:61)
                    at
io.undertow.server.handlers.PredicateHandler.handleRequest(PredicateHandler.java:43)
                    at
io.undertow.server.handlers.PredicateHandler.handleRequest(PredicateHandler.java:43)
                    at
io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler.handleFirstRequest(ServletInitialHandler.java:282)
                    at
io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler.dispatchRequest(ServletInitialHandler.java:261)
                    at
io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler.access$000(ServletInitialHandler.java:80)
                    at
io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler$1.handleRequest(ServletInitialHandler.java:172)
                    at
io.undertow.server.Connectors.executeRootHandler(Connectors.java:199)
                    at
io.undertow.server.HttpServerExchange$1.run(HttpServerExchange.java:774)
                    at
                    at
                    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
                Caused by: org.jboss.resteasy.spi.UnhandledException:
java.lang.NullPointerException
                    at
org.jboss.resteasy.core.ExceptionHandler.handleApplicationException(ExceptionHandler.java:76)
                    at
org.jboss.resteasy.core.ExceptionHandler.handleException(ExceptionHandler.java:212)
                    at
org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.writeException(SynchronousDispatcher.java:149)
                    at
org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.invoke(SynchronousDispatcher.java:372)
                    at
org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.invoke(SynchronousDispatcher.java:179)
                    at
org.jboss.resteasy.plugins.server.servlet.ServletContainerDispatcher.service(ServletContainerDispatcher.java:220)
                    at
org.jboss.resteasy.plugins.server.servlet.HttpServletDispatcher.service(HttpServletDispatcher.java:56)
                    at
org.jboss.resteasy.plugins.server.servlet.HttpServletDispatcher.service(HttpServletDispatcher.java:51)
                    at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:790)
                    at
io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletHandler.handleRequest(ServletHandler.java:86)
                    at
io.undertow.servlet.handlers.FilterHandler$FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterHandler.java:130)
                    at
org.keycloak.services.filters.KeycloakSessionServletFilter.doFilter(KeycloakSessionServletFilter.java:59)
                    ... 29 more
                    at
org.keycloak.protocol.oidc.TokenManager.addComposites(TokenManager.java:353)
                    at
org.keycloak.protocol.oidc.TokenManager.createClientAccessToken(TokenManager.java:193)
                    at
org.keycloak.protocol.oidc.TokenManager$AccessTokenResponseBuilder.generateAccessToken(TokenManager.java:412)
                    at
org.keycloak.protocol.oidc.endpoints.TokenEndpoint.buildResourceOwnerPasswordCredentialsGrant(TokenEndpoint.java:358)
                    at
org.keycloak.protocol.oidc.endpoints.TokenEndpoint.build(TokenEndpoint.java:113)
                    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method)
                    at
                    at
                    at
org.jboss.resteasy.core.MethodInjectorImpl.invoke(MethodInjectorImpl.java:137)
                    at
org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceMethodInvoker.invokeOnTarget(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:296)
                    at
org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceMethodInvoker.invoke(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:250)
                    at
org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceLocatorInvoker.invokeOnTargetObject(ResourceLocatorInvoker.java:140)
                    at
org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceLocatorInvoker.invoke(ResourceLocatorInvoker.java:109)
                    at
org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceLocatorInvoker.invokeOnTargetObject(ResourceLocatorInvoker.java:135)
                    at
org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceLocatorInvoker.invoke(ResourceLocatorInvoker.java:103)
                    at
org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.invoke(SynchronousDispatcher.java:356)
                    ... 37 more

I rule i tried to make up is the following:

"If for user Alice exists an active token with application roles for an
application and this application is removed, you can't get a token for this
user anymore"

Also note that in my tests i've increased realm 'Access token lifespan' to
60 min. Maybe having a short lifespan discards the token before making any
damage and the exception is not thrown. Just guessing here...

I hope this helps

Regards

Orestis