[keycloak-user] Authorization services are inefficient in Evaluation UI and in Evaluation API.

Ushanas Shastri ushanas at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 07:48:01 EST 2016

Hello,

We have an instance of KeyCloak,  setup with SQL Server as the database.

For authorization,  we have about 58 resources,  450 scopes  and around 500
scope based permissions.

We face the following issues:

a.  In the Evaluation UI in the administration console,  all drop downs for
resources,  scopes etc.  are all populated on page load. In each drop
down,  on inspecting the network tab,  it appears that  for populating drop
downs,  the amount of data returned is  much more than what the drop downs
need.  For e.g. Scopes drop down should contain data only for the 9
scopes,  but the service returns all resources and permissions as well, I
think.  This makes the page load extremely slow.

b.  When we evaluate a permission via API or via the evaluation UI, it
takes several minutes to check permissions for one resource and scope,
which is pretty slow.

c.  All Administrative UI pages,  such as list of resources,  scopes and
permissions get slower as we add more.  There isn't any paging on any of
them,  and they load all content on page load.

We have tried to replace SQL Server with MongoDB but have not seen any
major improvements.

Is there a way to make evaluation API faster? I believe the administration
UI issues will require code changes.  Should I file a JIRA?

Regards, Ushanas.